Back to School Safety Tips
It’s that time of year again when kids are starting to go back to school. I came across an article recently that listed several tips for back to school safety. Go over these with your children to help keep them safe.
- If you live in a gated community, make sure to contact school officials to arrange access to the community, if applicable. Driver may need a code or know a specific protocol to gain access.
- If your child may have to wait for the bus away from your front door, it is best if he/she has access to a cell phone, knows the basic safety procedures (i.e. never getting into anyone’s car) and he/she is familiar with the bus route number.
- If for some reason the bus does not show up within a reasonable amount of time, your child should call you immediately and he/she may need to have a back-up plan to return home to wait for you or another trusted adult.
- If it is the first time your child is walking to school make sure to take the time (prior to start date) to walk with the child to build familiarity with their route. Identify a “SAFE PLACE” where your child can go in the event of an emergency.
- NO POKEMON. Teach your child that safety is first; make sure they know they are not allowed to play any game on their cell phones or smart devices while walking to or from school. Being aware of their surroundings should always take precedence and will make them less of a target.
- Teach your child to refrain from shouting, yelling, and other boisterous activities that may distract a new or inexperienced bus driver.
- If your child rides a bicycle to school be sure to do a thorough maintenance inspection and instill the wearing of a helmet.
- Whether walking or on a bicycle teach your child to always take the same route and to never take a shortcut, jump fences or go through other people’s private property.
- Teach your kids the saying “If you see something, say something”. They should have at least one trusted counselor or teacher to share their concerns.
SMART Security Pros is a provider of armed security services utilizing only active/retired/prior law enforcement officers as well as Remote Guard Video Surveillance services. Shawn Scarlata is the Founder/CEO and the author of this post.